If you have ever been to North Africa, Greece or Turkey to name a few countries, you will know the pleasure of true Hummus. Over here in the UK, super markets Hummus is completely tasteless, sometimes I am not actually sure what I am tasting as it is so bland. I have tried and tested this recipe over and over to recreate the tastes on my travels and I believe once you make it, you will never buy store bought again.
I served this Hummus when I had friends over with my Knäckebröd as seen in the picture but it is also lovely for a healthy snack served with slices of carrots, cucumber or peppers.
Serves 6 as a dip
Cooking time 6 minutes (Preparation time 5 minutes)
- 3 tbsp Tahini
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp cumin
- pinch of sea salt
- 240g drained chickpeas (1 tin)
- 1 large garlic clove or 2 small cloves crushed
- 1/4 cup water
- Place the Tahini, lemon juice, salt and cumin into a food processor and blend for 2 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Rinse the chickpeas in water if using tinned.
- Place the chickpeas in along with the other ingredients and process until smooth, about 4-5 minutes. Now to get a finer, smoother texture add the water and continue to blend for a further minute or two.
- Place Hummus in a bowl and serve with Knäckebröd or sliced carrots or cucumber.