I was given a recipe for Knäckebröd by Sofi from Active Beans in Sweden, but I struggled to find a few ingredients in the UK, so after a few modifications the recipe below is the end result and I think it works perfectly to create beautifully crisp tasty Knäckebröd. Knäckebröd are perfect to serve with cheese after a nice meal, as a crisp bread for lunches or simply by themselves as a snack.
Cooking time 30 minutes (Preparation time 5 minutes)
- 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp cornmeal (not corn flour which is finer)
- 1/4 cup golden linseed
- 1/4 cup brown linseed
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1-2 tbsp poppy seeds to decorate
- sea salt to decorate
- 200ml hot water
- 50ml vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 150ºc.
- Line two baking trays with baking paper and cut an extra sheet the same size and put to one side.
- Mix the cornmeal and seeds together in a bowl.
- Add the water and oil and stir together. Don’t worry if at first it seems runny, it will take the cornmeal a little time to absorb the water.
- Place half the mixture onto each tray.
- Place the spare baking sheet over the top and roll out the mixture till it is about 3mm thick.
- Repeat the rolling process on the other tray.
- Sprinkle poppy seeds and ground sea salt over each tray to taste.
- Place in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Leave to cool for about 10 minutes and then break into pieces.
- Eat by itself as a snack or it goes perfectly with a creamy goats cheese or a rich cheddar.